FireCracker Realized
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
weekend recap
I was out with some friends last night to watch the Illini game and I was reminded of Saturday. It started with 3 hours of tennis - mainly serving. Remember how my pro said I was level 3...not so much. I was horrible. I couldn't do anything right. I was frustrated and annoyed with myself. It was not a pretty sight. I'll be sticking with level 2 for a while longer.
I had to run home from tennis to shower and change and cab it over to the bar to meet up with friends at Sluggers. They were there early so we could have a table with a decent view of the TV's. Things started out great, we had a Cubs game to keep us entertained until tip off. We had a great table, good food and cheap beer. We were in a sea of orange. The game starts and the excitement builds. Some girls start to chant I-L-L...I-N-I and they were loud! At the half is where things get a little strange. We start to notice things around us. A weird video on a couple of big screens. The music stops and there's a guy on the mic saying something I didn't quite get at first. Then I notice it. There are midgets on the bar. They're trying to promote their DVD, which seems to be a cross between WWF wrestling, Jackass and Girls Gone Wild. It's kind of disturbing, yet it's one of those things that you just can't turn away from. All I can think is "Did somebody slip me something? Am I dreaming or is this really happening?" I've only been to Sluggers a couple of times but I never expected anything like this. It was quite interesting for a half-time show. And then the game was back on and that was the end of the midgets. We stayed for both games and when we finally left the bar, it was 7 hours later! Some would call that insanity. I call it practice for the Cubs season. And I was still home before midnight. Oh, and the Illini won for their first trip to the finals!
Sunday was great. It was relaxing and peaceful, although I couldn't sleep past 7am which was just wrong. I blame that on the sunshine. It was bright! Violet and I had plans to go rock climbing, but due to an unfortunate series of events it was postponed. So instead I was planning to look for tennis shoes. Unfortunately, I turned on the TV instead of leaving right away and what was on? Tennis. I couldn't turn away. It was a good match and I wanted to get some pointers, so I watched and studied their moves. But then I realized how much I still had to get done, so I forced myself to turn it off and I headed out the door.
I was told to go to a specialty tennis shop to look for shoes, and when I got there it was closed! They were only open from 10-2. It was 2:10 and they were long gone. Who is only open for 4 hours? That's crazy! I was not happy. So instead I picked up Violet and we headed to Home Depot for paint samples. It was fun but nerve wracking. She wouldn't help me. She went off on her own to price out bathroom stuff. I was forced to make a decision. It felt good. I found some colours that I liked. I narrowed it down when I was in the store and had about 7 shades to choose from. We had some more shopping to do at Target and then we headed to Violet's to try and fix her boiler - with no luck. Since her place was cold, we then took a drive over to Chicago's Pizza to get one to go and met back at my place. Violet always manages to bring me her half opened bottles of wine, so we had pizza and wine, with some jalepeno poppers on the side...yummy! Throw in a little Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy and we're a couple of happy girls. And now I'm down to 3 colours to choose from. I can feel a decision on the horizon!
Monday I was swamped at work which was good, and no yelling from my boss which was better. I felt productive and happy, such a nice change! I finally went to get my eyes checked and I'm not as blind as I thought I would be. I don't even need a new prescription, I just need to start wearing my glasses a little more often if I want to see things clearly more than 5 feet away. From there I headed to Messners to meet up with friends for the final Illini game. Canadian Bacon (C.B.) left work early to get a spot and he did a great job! We had prime seating and I could watch the game from 3 different TV's. Again we had the Cubs game to keep us occupied until tip off and it was amazing to watch. We won 16-6, and it was mostly small ball...Sammy who? It was a great way to start the season! We're #1! The Illlini, unfortunately, did not fare so well. C.B. thought the Cubs should have saved some of the scoring for other teams to take advantage of. I thought he was full of shit, but it turns out he was right. The boys from Champaign needed some help. They relied on their 3's to get them through, but they should have been in the paint. They couldn't get the 3's off, and when they did, they wouldn't go down. It was sad to watch. They had the potential to be the greatest, instead they are just great. As a Cubs fan I'm used to seeing it.
And there's always next year.
Posted by Maple ::
9:02 AM ::
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
---------------------------------------