FireCracker Realized

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Saturday...

So as I mentioned in my last post, I was headed out to the North Halsted Market Days festival where I met up with Cubbie Girl. I had never been to this particular festival before but it was lots of fun and much more interesting than most because of the wide range of people in attendance. There were the guys in kilt-like skirts, many others wearing tight shorts and no shirts, one guy in a dark purple mesh tank top with a fluorescent yellow thong, and a guy dressed like Marilyn Manson with long black hair, makeup, a long black coat and platform boots that had to be over a foot high. Definitely a fun crowd! We walked around for a while, had some food and even drank some sangria from juice boxes. It was one of the more upscale festivals I've ever been to, with a good selection of beverages to choose from - beer, wine, slushies, and of course champagne! What's a festival without champagne?!

Considering most of the crowd was gay men, CG and I were quite surprised when I got my ass grabbed as we were standing around talking. Out of nowhere a guy grabs it, says something to me - which I never quite got because I was too stunned, and walks off. Later we run into Festa, a guy CG has met many times before, who was there selling his t-shirts. He looked like he was about to pass out in his chair, but as the three of us were talking, he managed to wake himself up enough to try and impress me with his knowledge of Canada, naming all the provinces and 2 of the 3 territories. I had made a point of telling him he needs to start making t-shirts for Canadians since what he's created are fun but I could never wear them. Almost every one of them say 'all-American girl', which obviously does not apply to me and I would not feel comfortable wearing something that says that - I'm too loyal to my country. And the whole time we're talking I'm clueless to the fact that he's trying to hit on me until the very end after I've given him my email address to get on his mailing list. Oops!

A little bit later, CG and I end up meeting Scott who comes into town every year from Louisville, KY just for this festival. He was there with a group of friends and CG noticed him because of his t-shirt...it was from some cartoon that was a little before my time so I can't remember the name of it. Scott was such a nice guy and he was really easy to talk with. The three of us were having a great time until another guy from his group, I'll call him the Straight Guy, started getting into our conversation and disrupting the flow of things. I could see the mood change and Scott was getting annoyed and started distancing himself from SG. The conversation became more of an argument instead of something fun and light like it had been. CG and I were also getting annoyed. This guy was trying way to hard to be liked and it wasn't working for him. Scott managed to make a break for it when another group of his friends appeared, but our only escape was to head to the loo at Roscoe's, a gay bar at the corner.

Our return to the festival was met with the desire to walk around and check out all the booths, one of which was a dessert booth. I was not at all hungry but the guy inside kept trying to push us to buy some chocolate covered strawberries...but I wasn't interested. He was determined for us to have some so he turns around and gets us two wonderful strawberries and hands them out to us for dipping. How could I refuse? I couldn't, so I headed straight for the dark chocolate fountain, covered every inch of that strawberry and indulged in a little piece of heaven. It was wonderful.

We wandered a little more, listened to some music, and did a little window shopping before heading home for the evening. It was still early for a Saturday, but I was tired and had made plans to play tennis on Sunday so I needed to get a good nights sleep. It was a great day and for the first time it actually felt like summer for me. I need more days like this!

Posted by Maple :: 1:39 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------